Sunday 8 March 2009

After the theatre

I hate the day after a show. For one thing, the night before is always a late one, so I'm always tired the next day. Last night I didn't get home until after 4am, and I did sleep in, but only until about 11, so I had less than 7 hours sleep. Plus, although they are hard work, show weeks are always great, and each one is a special experience, with a special group of people, and I'm always sad that that is over. Although I know there's always another show to come, they are never quite the same. And this one was really good. And yet, as the technical person, even post-show there are always things to do. And always the boring bits, usually financial.

And I always, always have lots of work to do. I have an essay due Tuesday morning, which I only started yesterday. It's going to be a struggle to get it done.

Because I rarely have time to eat proper evening meals in theatre weeks, I always like to have something a little special for that first post-theatre dinner. Usually something from the freezer that mum or I have made at home. Today I had mum's date and sherry chicken. It was leftovers from somethimg but I'd never had it before, and it was really, really good. It had whole cloves of garlic in, and lots of flaked almonds, but I'm not sure what. I'll find out!

To go with the chicken, I had mashed butternut squash, and what we call creamed leeks, which are saute'd leeks mixed with some mayo. I love them.

Tomorrow, proper cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment